Wednesday 5 November 2014

There is NO Right Answer

One of the biggest insights I have had in life was from my accounting professor, Mr. Broadbent, in my MBA course. He always used to say - "there is no right answer". As an impish student at that time, I barely grasped the depth of what he was saying. But now with graying hairs outnumbering the black & having sired a child in these tumultuous times, I am slowly understanding the portent of this seemingly innocuous statement.

While I am no Guru, I do believe that the existence of a climate which allows people to have differing thoughts only helps in creating an equitable society. It isn't a surprise that one of the primary rights enshrined in most constitutions in the free world is the freedom of speech & expression. It is extremely important in my eyes to be liberal in attitude & thought. It helps embrace newer thoughts & possibilities while preventing the onset of dogma & fanaticism.

A liberal mind is the building block of innovation & new thought. Do you think it would have been possible for the reformers like Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Savitribai Phule, Baba Amte, & their ilk to break the shackles of conventional thinking without a liberal mindset? True that in todays world there are certain vexing questions that have seemingly no clear solutions - viz. The Kashmir issue, The Hindu Muslim divide, The Jews vs. the Palestinians, Right to Abortion, Mercy killing / euthanasia etc.. Committed people on both sides of the debate weigh in with their passionate arguments. But it's when people shut themselves up to even consider any counter view is when fault lines harden.

You may well ask on which side of the spectrum do I stand on most of the issues. Honestly speaking - I & am sure you too, are often confused to be able to answer that. No we aren't ambivalent I'm sure. It's just that such complex issues aren't just plain white or black - it's in different shades of grey. And the only way I draw peace in such scenarios is falling back on what my wise old accounting professor said - "Ayan, its alright to draw different inferences. All answers lead to the universal truth & there is NO (one) right answer"
.
.
.
.
Just as an aside, coming to think of it Mr. Broadbent never practised what he preached while we students took his missive to heart.
How can I say that with surety you wonder?

If there is NO Right answer, as he claimed, then how come I got a big zero on his test?? Total scam I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment